We are very excited to announce upcoming classes for this Winter/Early Spring. We are offering some “true-blue beginner” classes with Kristin Irgens for those looking to learn the basics of knitting. We’re also offering Judy Warde’s popular stranded colorwork mittens (with linings!) class and Leanne Walker’s 2-color brioche in-the-round cowl. Details can all be found below. We’ll be adding additional Winter and early Spring class offerings and events in the coming weeks, so stay tuned via email and social media!
Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this page to get early notification of future classes and events!
Winter/Early Spring 2017 Classes at KnitWit Yarn Shop
|Jan 28||10AM – 12PM||“Learn to Purl” class with Kristin Irgens|
|Feb 4||10AM – 12PM||“Northman Mittens” class with Judy Warde|
|Feb 18||10AM – 12PM|
|Feb 11||10AM – 12PM||“2-Color Brioche in the Round” class with Leanne Walker|
|Mar 18||10AM – 12PM||Replay of “2-Color Brioche in the Round” class with Leanne Walker|
|Mar 25||10AM – 12PM||“Colorwork Eggs” workshop with Kristin Irgens|
|Apr 1||10AM – 12PM||“Socks from the Toe-Up” class with Judy Warde|
|Apr 8||10AM – 12PM|
Note, the “usual” KnitWit Shop Class Policies apply — sign-up and prepayment is required for each class. Please Email KnitWit or stop by in person to register (no phone calls for class registration please, thank you!). Students receive a 15% discount on supplies for classes.
Learn to Purl class with Kristin Irgens
A follow-up to our “Learn to Knit” class, you’ll learn the purl stitch as well as how to combine knit and purl stitches together to create common stitch patterns such as ribbing.
Skills Needed: You should know to cast-on and how to do the knit stitch
- 50 grams of worsted-weight yarn
- Size US 7 or US 8 knitting needles (straights or 24″ circulars)
- Date: Sat Jan 28th from 10 AM – 12 PM
- Fee: $35.00
Northman Mittens class with Judy Warde
Back by popular demand, Judy’s Northman Mitten Class will return this winter! In this 2-session class you will learn how to create a beautiful pair of lined mittens. The pattern uses stranded color work and an alpaca lining to create three layers of cozy comfort. This is an excellent introduction to stranded color work if you haven’t tried it yet!
Skills Needed: Basic knitting skills such as casting on, knitting, purling, binding-off and working on double pointed needles.
- 2 contrasting colors of worsted-weight yarn (approx. 200 yds of each). We recommend Berroco Ultra Alpaca or Quince & Co Lark.
- Approx 250 yds of DK-weight alpaca yarn for lining. We recommend 1 skein of Amano Puna or Shibui Baby Alpaca DK.
- Bring an assortment of DPNs, from sizes US 2-US 4
- Dates: Sat Feb 4th and Feb 18th from 10 AM – 12 PM
- Fee: $60.00
2-Color Brioche Cowl class with Leanne Walker
Brioche is fun to knit, creates exciting color contrast and is easy when knit in the round! Working on a double-wrap cowl, you will have a great winter accessory AND learn a new skill. Pattern will be provided.
Skills Needed: Must know how to knit, purl and work in the round on circular needles. Also helps a lot if you have experience with working a “YO” (yarn over).
Homework Prior to Class: Cast on 200 stitches in worsted weight yarn (solid color), place marker, join for working in the round (making sure not to twist stitches) and knit five rows.
- 200 yards each of two colors of worsted weight yarn (400 yards in total) – we recommend one of these be a self-striping yarn (many options available at the shop!)
- US size 6 32″ circular needle
- Date: Sat. Feb 11th, 10 AM – 12 PM
- Replay Date: Sat Mar 18th, 10AM – 12PM
- Fee: $40.00
Colorwork Eggs Workshop with Kristin Irgens
Easy color work – knitted eggs!
Decorate for spring with a basket of knitted eggs! This would be a perfect first color work project and a fun way to use up scrap yarn.
Skills Needed: You need to know how to cast on, knit, increase and decrease. Some experience knitting in the round on double pointed needles, or using magic loop method, and using a fine yarn and small size needles is also helpful.
- We will have available several colors of Quince & Co Chickadee sport weight yarn, but you can also bring your own small amounts of sport weight or fingering weight yarn
- Size US 1.5 double pointed needles (preferably wooden, as metal needles more easily slip out on such a small project)
- Synthetic “egg” stuffing will be provided
- Date: Sat Mar 25th from 10 AM – 12 PM
- Fee: $40.00
Socks from the Toe-Up with Judy Warde
“My toe looks messy.”
“I hate picking up those double wraps in short row heels.”
“The cuff is too tight and I can’t get the sock on my foot.”
Sound familiar? Solve the most frequent complaints of toe-up sock knitters in a two class workshop with Judy Becker’s Magic Cast On, the Fleegle Heel, and Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind off. These three techniques will enable you to cast on and begin knitting, create a gusseted heel without any wraps or picking up stitches, and then finish with a bound off cuff that you can actually get over your foot. It’s easy, fun and will add new skills to your sock knitting arsenal.
Note: The cast on we will be using is most easily done using two circular needles. The entire sock can be knit on those needles, or you can switch to double points or Magic Loop, if you wish.
Skills Needed: Basic knitting skills such as casting on, knitting, purling, binding-off
- Yarn: 400 yds of sock yarn
- Two 24″ circular needles in size appropriate for yarn (usually US 1, US 1.5 or US 2)
- Dates: Sat Apr 1st and Apr 8th from 10 AM – 12 PM
- Fee: $60.00